Article 26 sets out the provisions for amending the Convention, and Article 27 provides for the adoption and amendment of annexes to the Convention. The Secretariat received three proposals for amendments to the Convention in time for COP-4, and communicated these to the Parties on 30 April 2021. This information session will be an opportunity to be informed of the process of amendment of the Convention, the current Annexes A and B, and specifically the three proposals received, namely from the European Union, the Africa region, and from Canada and Switzerland. Please send specific questions you may have on the proposals in advance to MEA-MinamataSecretariat [at] un.org.
The panelists of this session will be:
- Monika Stankiewicz, Secretariat of the Minamata Convention on Mercury
- Claudia ten Have, Secretariat of the Minamata Convention on Mercury
- Aneta Willems, Directorate General for Environment, European Commission
- Liliane Randrianomenjanahary, Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, Madagascar
- Jamie Knill, Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Eisaku Toda, Secretariat of the Minamata Convention on Mercury